History - 88 years of service to the Washington Community

1924: Episcopal Senior Ministries was incorporated as the Episcopal Church Home. A single family home, donated in April 1924 by Cornelia Jones, became the first residence for older persons, and within a decade, there were five homes and 31 residents.

1958:
After 34 years at the Macomb Street and Wisconsin Avenue site, the Episcopal Church Home moved to a new facility added onto an historic Georgetown home given by Mrs, Ella Sevier in memory of her husband's great grandfather. Services were provided at this site for 33 years.

1967: Episcopal Church Home, Friendship, Inc. was formed to develop the Friendship Terrace Retirement Community in Northwest Washington with a long term loan from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. It opened in 1970 and today continues to serve nearly 200 residents.

1995: Episcopal Church Home was renamed Episcopal Senior Ministries. The organization then began to focus on reaching out to seniors throughout the Diocese who prefer to remain in their own homes and communities and to support the development of ministries for and by seniors at the parish and community level. The first of ESM's educational forums and Senior Celebrations were held in 1995.

1996: ESM Cares was started to address the needs of seniors and caregivers. ESM Cares provides personalized in-home assessment, identifies care options, and coordinates support services to help seniors maintain their independence. It also provides information and assistance.

1997: Through a partnership with St. Philip's Chapel in Baden, a transportation service began which provides rides for seniors to medical appointments.

1998: A second transportation partnership with IONA Senior Services in Washington, D.C. began service to help seniors reach shopping areas, services, museums, and cultural events.

1998: The launch of ESM's website expanded outreach capabilities even further.

2000: Christian Communities Group Homes (CCGH), a nonprofit in the District of Columbia with a 20 year history of providing housing for low income seniors, became a subsidiary of Episcopal Senior Ministries. CCGH operates three homes on the Northeast Washington, DC campus of the Washington Center for Aging Services which is owned and operated by the DC Office on Aging. In addition, CCGH provides volunteer assistance to senior neighbors so that they can live safely in their own homes through its Age-in-Place program.

2001: ESM set up a Development office and hired its first Development Director.

2003: ESM held the first Diocesan-wide Renewal of Vows celebration at the Cathedral for Episcopal couples who had been married 40 or more years.

Episcopal Senior Ministries has thrived throughout the years because of its volunteer leadership. Since the beginning, it has been governed by volunteers from Episcopal congregations throughout the Diocese. The ESM Women's Guild, a volunteer organization of dedicated Episcopal women, was present at the organization's beginning, and its members provided assistance to the residents of ESM's homes and served as liaisons with their congregations. They also raised funds which later were dedicated toward transportation services. The Guild voted to disband in 2005. Their legacy of service will long be valued.

2005: ESM signed a covenant with the Episcopal Diocese of Washington which strengthened ESM's leadership role on aging

2007: ESM presented the first Leadership in Aging Awards at its Magical Moments Gala. James Firman Ed.D President and CEO of the National Council on Aging and Virginia Luce Allen longtime community organizer and advocate for the Georgetown Senior Center were the first recipients.

2008: Elizabeth Fox, of Experience Corps and AARP receive Leadership in Aging Awards.

2009: Dr. JC Hayward, Vice President for Media Outreach WUSA TV and Sandy Kursban Founder and Chairman of Family & Nursing Care receive Leadership in Aging Awards.

2009: ESM was appointed Lead Agency to provide services for older adults living in Washington DC's Ward 5.

2009: Springvale Terrace became a part of ESM. Springvale offers assisted and independent senior living in downtown Silver Spring MD.

2010: Steve Gurney, founder and publisher of the Guide to Retirement Living Sourcebook and Vera Mayer, Director Emeritus of the DC Long Term Care Coalition received Leadership in Aging Awards.

2010: ESM's name was changed to Seabury Resources for Aging. The name change and new visual identity are intended to reflect the organization's growth while ensuring that everyone feels welcomed to our homes and services. Seabury Resources for Aging draws on the Episcopal heritage of the organization by referencing Samuel Seabury, the first Episcopal Bishop consecrated in the United States while at the same time reflecting our mission to serve all regardless of religious affiliation.

2011: Leadership in Aging awards were presented to the Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation and David Gamse, CEO of the Jewish Council for the Aging.

2011: The main office of Seabury Resources for Aging moved to the lower level of Seabury at Friendship Terrace.

2011: Christian Communities Group Homes changes its name to Seabury at Home First.

2011: Seabury's care management service celebrated its 15th year of service and introduced a consultation service.

2012: Seabury celebrates its 88th year of service to the Washington community.

2012: Stuart Rosenthal, editor and publisher of the Beacon Newspapers and the Medical House Call Program at MedStar Washington Hospital Center receive Leadership in Aging awards.

2012: Seabury takes on management of the WEHTS transportation system in DC

2013: Seabury begins its 89th year of operation and begins planning for its 90th celebration.

2013: The first Chief Operating Officer for the organization is hired.

2013: Julie Potter, MSW, former coordinator of the Sibley Senior Association is selected as the Leadership in Aging awardee.

2013: Seabury begins providing services to Washington DC's Ward 6 seniors and caregivers.

Today, more than 3500 volunteers, hundreds of contributors, and the staff continue the tradition of service to older adults that began in 1924.